Holy Trinity Weymouth with St Nicholas

Church of England

Skip to navigation

About Holy Trinity

Holy Trinity is a Church of England church in the Diocese of Salisbury. Since the 1830s we have sought to represent God’s presence in this part of his world.

Holy Trinity church is the civic church of Weymouth and is used for many of the town’s special occasions where Church and State are represented. But we hope that people of our parish and the wider community will see it as their church.  The liturgy in our church is traditional and catholic and the Eucharist forms the basis of our church life together. Everyone is welcomed to our services which emphasise the importance of accepting people as they are and endeavouring to see the presence of God in everyone. The Vicar would be very happy to talk to you about any requests for baptisms, weddings, blessing’s and prayers for all occasions. We exist to support everyone whatever their journey.

Holy Trinity has a weekly Sunday school which meets at 9.45am in Holy Trinity church crypt and during the Eucharist the young people join the rest of the church for worship and share with everyone their Sunday contribution to the liturgy. Everyone is welcome to bring their children along. Parents are particularly welcome to stay.

Every Sunday after the Parish Eucharist everyone is encouraged to join us for tea and coffee in the organ transept at Holy Trinity where there is an opportunity to talk to each other and meet our vicar Canon Andrew Gough.

We are a Fairtrade church and have a weekly stall of Tradecraft items after the 10.00 am Parish Eucharist.

It is with regret in recent months that we have had to keep Holy Trinity church closed because of anti-social behaviour and vandalism.  However, we do aim to be open at certain times.  Please see the church notice boards.

Our church hosts several social events, bible studies and weekday services which are open to anyone who feels that they would like to join us.

We try to help nurture people’s faith and support them on life’s journey at Holy Trinity Church. We also seek to witness to God’s love for all people and especially those in need. Many members of the church are involved in social and charitable work in Weymouth and beyond.

Canon Andrew is available for confession and /pastoral counselling by appointment.  He is also available to visit you along with the ministerial staff team. Please do contact us.

St Nicholas Church

St Nicholas Church (NOW CLOSED) has been on Buxton Road since 1894. The current building was dedicated by the Bishop of Salisbury on Palm Sunday, 1964. St Nicholas played a full part in the life of the parish, having had its own thriving worshipping community which gathered on Sunday and Wednesday mornings. Being a dual-purpose building, church and hall, it provided a venue for many of our social activities. The building and land are scheduled to be sold.

The closure service at St Nicholas Church took place on Sunday 4th March 2018 and was a joint Service of Thanksgiving with the Holy Trinity choir and congregation. The service was led by Canon Andrew assisted by the Reverend Ruth Milverton with the address given by The Very Reverend Alan Woods

The photo above shows from left to right the Revd Ruth, Canon Andrew and the Rt Rev Alan Woods officiating at the Thanksgiving and Closure Service

 

Our mission

The foundation of our life in the Church is worship and prayer, as we support each other on the journey of faith. In the power of God’s spirit we are sent out to make Christ known in the communities he has called us to serve.

Music at Holy Trinity

Holy Trinity Church is pleased to introduce a limited number of chorister bursaries for young people joining the church choir. Holy Trinity Church will contribute towards the cost of private singing lessons during school term in return for singing in the choir at our Sunday and festival services. Further details can obtained from Canon Andrew

The musical life of the church is very active, with the choir performing regularly during services. The photo above shows one of our visiting organists David Bruce-Payne. Read more about music at Holy Trinity

History

In 1834, Rev George Chamberlaine, Rector of Wyke Regis, offered to build a new church for the people of Weymouth at his sole expense. The site selected, the southern end of the Town Bridge, was well chosen and used to effect by the architect Philip Wyatt, who designed an imposing building in the late Gothic style. It was consecrated on 6 August 1836 by the Bishop of Winchester, and Thomas Payne became the first vicar.

Originally the church faced east as is the custom, but by the mid-1880s a growing congregation prompted an extensive enlargement which included reorientation of the interior and re-positioning of the high altar to its current site. A remarkable feature from the beginning, the large crypt – easily accommodated within the sloping site – has served many purposes. It was a place of burial until the 1862 Burial Act, an air-raid shelter during the Second World War, was converted for use as a parish hall in 1979, and continues to be a meeting place for community groups.

A detailed church guide and history of “The Church by the Bridge” by Geoff Pritchard, revised to celebrate the 170th anniversary in 2006 of the foundation of the church, is available, price £1.50.  Brief guide booklets in French, German, Italian and Spanish, as well as English, are available in the church for visitors.

Holy Trinity Primary School and Community Nursery

The school, the largest primary school in Dorset, and nursery provide a Christian environment in which every pupil is recognised as a unique individual to be nurtured in mind, body and spirit. It occupies superb new buildings which were dedicated in 2008 by the Bishop of Sherborne. It has a garden, which includes a memory garden for spiritual and quiet reflection and is used by the pupils as part of their RE lessons. You can view the school's website or contact the school on 01305 783 200 or at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

Latest news

SALISBURY - THE FIRST ECO DIOCESE

The Diocese of Salisbury has been declared the first Eco Diocese. In a first for the Church of England, the Diocese of Salisbury has been granted Eco Diocese Status.

Andy Atkins, CEO of A Rocha UK the Christian based environmental charity which runs the green award scheme said: “Salisbury is the first diocese to be awarded Eco Diocese status and it's our very great pleasure to do so. When we launched Eco Church in 2016 we had high hopes and expectations. To have got this far so quickly is humbling, exciting and such a huge encouragement that so many churches in a diocese are working together to care for God's earth should be an encouragement to us all.”

More news

Vicar’s letter for November 2018

“REMEMBERING

Once again we come round to November, the month of Remembrance. On All Souls Day (2nd November) the Church gathers to remember the faithful departed. At Holy Trinity church on Friday, 2nd November at 10.30am we shall gather together for a Requiem Eucharist to remember all our departed loved ones and friends. We shall remember them publicly at the altar during the service. Please enter names you wish to be remembered on the list on the board in the organ transept.

Continue reading